Wednesday, February 23, 2011




Over the weekend, I, Karen's insanely nerdy daughter, Shannon, whom she adores very much, went to Naka-Kon, an anime convention! I cosplayed (a combination of the words "costume" and "roleplay") the vampire Alucard from the series Hellsing. That's me in the flamboyant red and no, I don't sparkle. Google him if you like. He's a creeper. We call him "Ala Carte."
The coat, hat, and tie are homemade. The tie was actually a hasty, day before/of con project. The hat is felt with stiff interfacing holding the crown up and heavy floral wire holding the brim out.
The coat, which got quite hot (>.< agh! Sunday was "casual Alucard" where I took off the coat and unbuttoned the vest most of the time we walked around), is a linen (or linen-like, we aren't sure) material, which isn't that weird orangey color the group shot makes it look like.
Oh, featured in that group shot are Father Alexander Anderson, Alucard's crazy rival/nemesis dude with the bayonets, and TWO Seres Victorias, one before and one after she gets awesome. I envy that gun-cannon-thing (the Harkonnen).

(Now, to take back the sewing blog from Shannon:) Shannon enjoyed her coat and hat very much and I had fun making them for her. I'll post more construction shots later.

(Shan's pics of her and her friends' shenanigans are on Deviantart if viewers are so inclined to visit: www.spaztastics.deviantart.com.)

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Karen, this looks pretty impressive well done!!

    I've had some sad news, my Aunt passed away on Sunday, so I'm visiting my parents for the week (its a holiday here anyway).

    Not sure if you have been getting my emails lately, I've sent a couple but wonder if I have the wrong address.xx

    ReplyDelete